Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Ride the Reading Wave

So guess how many books I have read in the last few days? Go ahead ... guess. Well here they are: The Secret of the King by Rachel Ann Nunes (which I have actually read several times to Sam but is a GREAT children's book.) I love the story of the two kids who just want to help and they think the only way to help is by joining the army and then learning how they have skills that the king needs. We like reading this book.





The Girl with the Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts (a novel for kids between 8-12). I had a friend encourage me to read this book. I wasn't so sure as I am not really a children's book reader but I loved it. We are all different sometimes it is easy to see like silver eyes and others it isn't I hope Sam will read it when he gets a bit older.





The City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau (a young adult book) that I really enjoyed. I got this book in the sci-fi/fanstasy section but I haven' figured out the sci-fi/fantasy part but that didn't stop me from really enjoying it. It is about a girl and boy who live in Ember a city that is always dark and the lights are failing and the choices they make to save the day. I have the second book in the series on hold. Maybe it will be more sci-fi-ish but even it it isn't it will be a great book. Then I read Paragon Walk by Anne Perry (a mystery novel). I loved the first one and this was good too just not as good.



And to round it out The Redemption of Althalus by David and Leigh Eddings (a fantasy fiction novel). I love reading Eddings. I love his characters and the families he creates. This was a little slow getting started but it was great once I got into it. If you like fantasy you will love this book.

You may ask you self why so many book in the last few days. My answer: July. You may ask what has July got to do with it? And I would answer work ... or perhaps that lack thereof. July is the month that all by bosses retreat, leave, vanish, disappear. So I bring a book just in case. I have gotten up to date on all conference reports, cleaned out my desks, updated my folders, recreated my job 'bible', finished three projects, done two other peoples jobs (they are on vacation) and I still am bored. AND it is only July 15th. I need to learn how to be less efficient. It would help if one of the jobs that I taking care of while she is vacationing actually had a few things to do ... she does 10 week letters, letters that we send to presidents before their conferences, but do you know what is 10 weeks away ... GENERAL CONFERENCE ... no 10 week letters. Alas!

But I have been having fun. Don't feel too bad for me. I have read five books in the last couple of days. And I have played around with digital scrap booking. And I am almost done with my prep work for the novel I am going to write for NaNoWriMo in November.

And I am taking all of next week off so I better get all my play time in now cause July will be over before I know it. Sometimes my job is like a raging white river and then it slows down to a trickling stream but before I know it that raging white river is going to be sneaking up on me and before I even hear the roar of the water I will be in the thick of it again .. HA! How is that for imagery ... hmmm back to my book Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner ...

1 comment:

Dede said...

Well I went to the library and got some books. Neverwhere, Devil May Care and The Redemption of Althalus. I think I was the one to get you hooked on Eddings. Or at least I'll say that anyway. For sure Terry Brooks.
Can't commemt on the dancing since we don't watch. But you keep me updated so I know stuff.