Monday, September 29, 2008

Mormon Scientist


I do not often branch out of non-fiction but I was pleased with this read. The book, Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring, was a suggestion from a friend. I enjoy biographies but I was not sure about the science part. I would not say that it is a quick read but it was not laborious either. I found Henry’s whole story fascinating. He was a family man, a man of science and a man of faith.


To me he exemplified how we can live in this world today. I loved the idea that viewing the world is like a puzzle and just because things don’t match up exactly now does not mean that they will not. Science and religion can work together. One of my favorite quotes from the book was F. Scott Fitzgerald, “The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise.” I love that: see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise. I think my favorite section of the book was the chapter Master of Contradictions.


I liked how he knew who he was and was never embarrassed about it. It never bothered him if people did not like him because his family was a polygamist family or that he was a Mormon or the way that he lived his science. I hope I can develop and understanding and confidence in myself that is that strong. To be able to stand up and say this is me – live with it.


Another one of my favorite quotes was what Henry Eyring said about one of his students. His son (I think) asked him why he did not give it to him (the student for not performing well) and Henry Eyring said: “The world knocks them down. I try to build them up.”


I admire his confidence, his belief and his determination. I liked when he said, “If an idea is wrong, it will fail; if it is right, nothing can stop it.”


I really enjoyed this book and I am glad that I purchased it because I would like to read it again.


4 comments:

Katie Anderson said...

Ohhhhhhh Noooooooo....I read the wrong book. I read November's The Alchemist instead...you will just have to wait to see how I feel about it. I'm starting Maisie Dobbs soon. Don't I feel like a dummie!!!!

Dede said...

I didn't have this book and it wasn't in the Germantown Library:( But I have The Alchemist and will start Maisie Dobbs soon also.

Elizabeth said...

No worries :) It is a great book so when you get a chance give it a try. Katie I might have messed you up. I think the Alchemist was for this month until I changed it ... so bad on me. You will just be really ready for November. Mom I can send it to you if you want to read it. But I do eventually want it back :)

Dede said...

I will send it back as soon as I finish it if you want to send it. Grandma Wood is coming for a vist the end of Oct. so if you see her and think she will remember to bring it you could give it to her to bring!!!! I have heard many great things about that book so I am interested in reading it myself.