Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten



Sam's first day of school was very fun. He loves his teacher (who happens to be the same teacher he had for preschool - she got promoted at just the right time). He loves his friends. He got to bring to school his "ME" poster. He enjoyed picking all the pictures and stickers out to create it.

Unfortunately just three days into school Sam got really sick. Wednesday night he came into my room almost every twenty minutes telling me that he didn't want to sleep in his bed. So I would give him a hug and put him back in his bed, turn on his music and try to go back to sleep finally at about 4:30 in the morning I let him get in my bed because I was so unbelievable tired. I would say about 30 seconds later he threw-up ... IN MY BED. So I asked him (after I clean up Sam and my bed) why didn't you tell me that you don't feel good. And do you know what he did? He said, "Mommy, I don't feel good." Ha what a crack up. Even when sick he can be funny. So he was puky and feverish and finally on Friday evening I took him to instacare because he said he had a sore throat and yup he had strep. Poor little guy! Within twenty four hours of getting the antibiotic in him he was feeling great. Now the challenge is for me to remember to give a happy, healthy boy medicine. Don't worry I made a colorful chart and placed it on the front door. I can't leave the house without seeing it (saved me this morning!).

So about three weeks ago (maybe even longer) I took my entertainment center out of my living room into the garage and painted it. Well not right then, first I sanded it and then primed it and then painting it and then painted it again and then painted it again and then lacquered it. With several hours of drying time between. And now it is done. I hope it looks ok because I am not the most detail oriented person (I am more a big picture person). Leave it to me to forget painting something visual and important but I love the color. It is green, a nice rich green. I can't paint my walls so I thought I would paint the furniture instead. I am hoping to get some help to move it back into the house today or tomorrow.

Also my good friend Julie came over on Saturday and Monday and helped me clean out my room. It was a disaster. It was so helpful to have someone objective say, "Really ... honestly ... you want that?" It has been great. Fortunately even after the drudgery of helping me clean out my room she still wants to be my friend and is even going to help me with the rest of my house. She deserves a medal. Or at least a nice dinner. Or at the very least a milkshake.

Work has come back full force and a rarely have even a moment of down time. But I like to be busy. School, sick kid, work, house, happy kid, painting, it has been a full couple of weeks.

7 comments:

Katie Anderson said...

Sam...I want to hear all about kindergarten. I will call this weekend.

Liz...I want pictures of the new entertainment unit. I miss you guys tons and love you tons!!!!!

Dede said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dede said...

Sam looks so cute on his first day of kindergarten. I know he is going to have a great year. I think you entertainment unit is going to be beautiful. You did something you have not done before and just the idea of remodeling your furniture is wonderful. Love you and miss you both.

Bethany said...

It was so good to see you today. Sorry my son doesn't stay put long enough for me to hve any long conversations. You need to post a picture of your entertainment center. I bet it is gorgeous. Also, I need to make your friend my friend because I have lots of organizing to do. Ha Ha. Love ya

Nikki said...

Yayyyyy, kindergarten! Sam's a cutie, and I'm glad he likes school... too bad about the icky strep! Glad he's feeling better, and hurray for organization. Too bad you're not closer to Indiana... I have a couple of closets I could use some help with... ;)

Alice said...

Kids have an uncanny ability to throw up in the most unpractical places, Someday, if you are not queasy, I will tell you about the time Antonin threw up on my laptop... I could not use the darn thing anymore... it was like it was tainted...

Anonymous said...

So glad my sister could help! ; )
Wish I was there -you know I was there in spirit!!! After Julie told me all you guys got accomplished, I slept better for you. heehee