Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What I am Reading to Write

Almost a year ago I wrote a very rough draft of a novel and then I drawered it. (You know shoved it in a virtual drawer and left it to fend for itself). There were two reasons for this drastic action. One was because I just could not stand the sight of it anymore and the other was I was stuck. I had my beginning, middle and end but something was missing. I was not sure where to look or how to find that missing component so I drawered it. I picked up a novel idea that I had been working on for some time and was making good progress but again something happened and I do not know what but I knew that something was missing, something was just not right.

So I took a break. And I started reading. Not that I do not read like a crazy person in general. We are talking about me but I started reading about writing. There are a lot of books on writing but I am certainly not going to read a book on how to be a successful writer by a person that I have never heard of and has not got one single book on a best sellers list. Not that I am aiming for the best sellers list I would be happy just to finish a novel, and it would be joyous to get it edited and it would be brilliant to get it published. So what books should I read by authors who know what they are doing?

Well, for some time I have had on my list of things to read On Writing by Stephen King. And I finally got around to reading it. I read it once and immediately went to Barnes & Noble and bought my own copy so I could mark it up and really use it. I thought it was brilliant and I would suggest it to anyone who wants to write in any medium. Although I must give warning he uses a lot of four letter words. That does not really bother me but if it bothers you maybe should not read it.

After I read King I thought "this is excellent but I want to write in speculative fiction" (otherwise known as science fiction and fantasy) so I went looking again for a good read. I found a great book by Orson Scott Card called How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy. Card specifically mentions that his book is not about writing, it is about writing speculative fiction. It was extremely helpful and again I bought it so I could mark it up and really use it. Then I got his book Characters & Viewpoint which was very helpful for me because I have a tendency to switch viewpoint frequently (and I learned that isn't necessarily bad I just have to be in control not just randomly switching). Lastly I bought Elements of Style which both King and Card recommended as the book for style. Eventually I will buy or go to the library to read Writers Market.

It has been an epiphany. I am so excited to write both my novels now I don't know which one to work on first. I have always loved to dream up stories but felt nothing compared on the page with what was in my mind but I think I have a better feel for how I can get those stories told.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Elizabeth-
ON WRITING is brilliant. SO brilliant. My other fave writing book- and one you should definitely check out- is Anne Lamott's BIRD BY BIRD. She is fantastic and I bet, especially since you're a mom, you'll really connect with her. She writes about her son all the time.

I also wanted to drop you a note to say that I've bought the Writer's Market many times and have been continually dissatisfied with the wrong information they provide and how you're still left to do all the work, so my boyfriend and I started a website for writers called WordHustler.com. We're the first website to take care of the WHOLE process of writing and submitting work. When you're ready, check us out.

Good luck writing!

Best,
Anne Walls
Writer/Co-Founder of WordHustler.com