Friday, August 8, 2008

Kindergarten Orientation

Yesterday we went to Kindergarten Orientation. I picked Sam up from school and we went to McDonalds because we really didn't have time to get home and get back in time. We had about 45 minutes to kill. He would not even play he ate as fast as he could and then said let's go. He really wanted to go through the drive through. Which I think is just funny because he always wants to stay and play. So we got to his school about half hour early. But we talked to the coordinator and his teacher for a while. Then orientation started and the kids got to make name places for themselves while the teacher talked to the parents. It really was not anything that I was not expecting. I was excited to learn that the class was not full (it still could fill up but...) but that means that there are only nine kids in the kindergarten class. Talk about one on one time.

They have a great literacy program that I am so excited to start. They have a goal for their class to read 1000 books. Sam and I are rearing to go and get started. Sam is so excited to start chapter books. He thinks that is so cool.

They will study language & literacy, library media, social studies, math, science, art, information technology and healthy lifestyles. One of the dads commented on the information technology category. He was excited about it but just expressed the thought my how times have changed.

They gave us a list called The 10 Best Ways to Help Your Kindergartner Succeed in School: A Parents To Do List
  1. Encourage reading in any way you can
  2. Treat your child as though he's an author
  3. Make math part of everyday life
  4. Teach your child how to listen
  5. Support your child's teacher and the school rules
  6. Tell the teacher everything
  7. Make sure your child is ready for school
  8. Spend time in your child's classroom
  9. Encourage responsibility and independence
  10. Ask your child about school every day

I am really excited for Sam to start school. I am happy that he is in such a great school that has such wonderful, thoughtful teachers. We are lucky.

Oh the funny thing was after it was over Sam was kinda mad at me and I asked him why and he said that was not much of a Kindergarten Celebration (orientation ... celebration ... you see how confusing it could be! :) ...)

1 comment:

Dede said...

I'm so glad Sam is excited about Kindergarten. I think he will love it.