Friday, June 13, 2008

I know ... I was there...

Yesterday was not a good day. I was at work sitting there ... working ... and suddenly I got hit with a wave of nausea. It was awful. And it didn't end there ... ooooh no it did not end there. So finally after enduring several trips down the hall to the ladies room I decided to abandon work and go home. I made it home (barely!) and took a nap. I woke up to the tinkling of my cell phone. I reached over and it was Sam's teacher. He had been playing on the jungle gym, fell and cracked his head open. They thought perhaps he might need stitches. So I tell them I will be right there, steel myself against the sickness, throw on some clothes and race down to his school. He was so sad and small, he had a huge gauzy thing taped to his head. But he didn't want me to touch it because it would hurt. So I took him to insta-care. When they called his name he walked back and down the hall (exactly how he was supposed to go) the nurse said, "I see that you have been here before." Yup that's us insta-care professionals. So she asked him what happened and I start to talk but he interrupts me and says, "I know, I was there..." and proceeds to tell the story in great detail. He got it right although slightly exaggerated. Then we went back into another room and she cleaned the wound. The doctor came in and said, indeed, he did need stitches. Four in total not many but I have never had stitches so it was an experience. (Not to mention I already felt like throwing up). Sam was a trooper. Even when she numbed the area (which as we all know is the most painful part) Sam didn't cry or even move his head. We were all impressed. Sam wanted to go back to school and show off his stitches but it was already four p.m. by the time that we got out of insta-care so we went and got him an ice cream for being such a brave boy. And a movie. Then we made it home just in the nick of time for me to ... well ... I won't go into detail.

This morning I feel much better. Sam feels like a superhero and proudly showed off his stitches at school before heading out the door for the Zoo field trip. And if my camera had not completely died yesterday I would have pics to show you of his bravery. Oh well I am sure there will be a next time!

3 comments:

Dede said...

Tell Sam he's the man. This is something he can proudly tell his friends later on that he got stitches. What a great little tropper he is!

Katie Anderson said...

I'm so sorry!!!! I wish, wish, wish I could have been there to help out. I would have held your hair back and taken Sam to the doctor. No wonder he is so tough...he's got you for a mommy!

Anonymous said...

Ouch! My darling husband was standing behind me reading this post and says "what?! no picture?!" He was way bummed. Such a guy ((shakes head)). As a girly girl..I thank you for the lack of photographic proof. ; )