Thursday, May 13, 2010

Eternal Optimist

So I am not saying that I am an eternal optimist, although my dad did call me "Little Miss Mary Sunshine" when I was a kid. Sometimes I choose to be negative but it rarely makes me feel better. Usually I feel worse. Sometimes I cry or get angry about things that are out of my control. So much of my life feels like it is completely out of my control. But, really, being all grumpy about it does what? Nothing. Exactly. So why be all gloomy? I was talking to my sister and she told me about a woman she knows who complains about everything. I have known people like this in my life and usually I just want to avoid those kinds of people. I would rather look life in the face, laugh and move on.

I heard from somewhere (I know amazing with my references) that George Washington made a list of things he needed to work on and every morning he would remind himself of what was on the list and every night he would review and reflect on how successful he was at accomplishing his goals. I thought about how character is built through work, day by day with conscious effort.

I want my friends and family to think of me as a positive person, not to say that I will be fake because some days are just plain crappy but that I try to look on the bright side of things. The whole 'sun will come out tomorrow' attitude. One of my favorite quotes from this past conference was from Elder Hallstrom, "...giving up is not an option ... without delay, turn to the Lord. Exercise all of the faith you have in Him. Let Him share your burden. Allow His Grace to lighten your load."

Today I have determined to find joy in my chaos, to find comfort in the rhythm of my storm tossed sea.

6 comments:

Dede said...

Oh, wow Liz. You say things so brillantly. I truly love and appreciate you just the way you are.

Anonymous said...

LOVE your last statement! I may quote you someday. : D
My dad called me Mary Sunshine too! He now just refers to me as "Mary" or "Mer". But it was said out of sarcasm since I was always SO lovely and sunshiney in the morning. hahaha

Really love this post - I'll be back to re-read it on my hard days.
Love you!

dana liston said...

It is always better to look on the bright side of life...even when it is hard!

Unknown said...

I've always thought of you as a positive person. That's one reason why I love being around you cause you cheer me up when I need to see the bright side of things. =)
I'm trying to work on this too! Realizing that I may not be able to control what comes my way but I can control how I react to it. Being grumpy and complaining doesn't help!! Thanks for the reminder!

Kleinhenz Family said...

Express your gratitude- it can do wonders for how you feel about your life! I know from personal experience. Love you Mary Sunshine!

Amber said...

I know I am late, but I loved reading this. You are always so uplifting to me and seriously one of my favorite people in all the world!