Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Three Foods and a Shoe Rack

I have been remiss in my duties to my blog, however, I have not been remiss in my Pinterest experiment. Here are a few things I have been trying at home with varying degrees of success.

Better Than Take Out Orange Chicken recipe found at The Noshery Blog
"Better Than Takeout Orange Chicken".
WOW. I halved the recipe because I don't like soggy orange chicken and I knew I couldn't (or shouldn't) eat 6 servings in one sitting. However, after eating the left overs the next day I realized that this stuff is so delicious that I didn't notice any problem with sogginess. So next time I am making the full recipe. I must admit it makes me wish for a kitchen that is larger than a closet. This is now on my EAT OFTEN list. I made it with brown rice which was very tasty too. I can't tell you how many times I have used the rice steamer by brother gave me for my birthday several years ago. Thanks Bro!

Crockpot Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti by Cooking with Kim
Crockpot cheesy chicken spaghetti
Yum. This also made delicious leftovers which is nice because then I fill up a weeks worth of plastic containers and my lunch is ready to go. It had a nice kick to it because of the green chilies but not so much that the boy wouldn't eat it. It isn't the most healthy meal I have tried in the past few weeks but it was yummy. I might try and play with it and see if I can get the calories down a bit. The recipe does call for 98% Fat Free cream soups but I think more can be done. I am definitely trying it with whole wheat pasta.

Healthy Banana Bread from 8 Weeks to a Better You
Pinned Image
The first time I made this it was a DISASTER. But I chalked it up to operator error and tried again, the biggest problem was I did not read all the comments or even a few of them if I did I would have realized that the recipe called for way to long in the oven. Mine burnt. Badly. And I guess I was in hurry and didn't mash up the bananas very well. Remedied that the next time by having the boy mash the bananas - those things were MASHED! It came out perfect. Moist and delicious. It has a slightly different flavor with the honey, a different kind of sweetness. We really liked it. I also made three small loaves which work better for us. After the success of the second try will be making this again and again.

Clear Shoe Rack to Organize Kids Room (from HelloLittleOne) AND Cleaning Supplies (from Pinterest but the link is broken - sad)
clear shoe rack to organize the kid's room Pinned Image
Basically the same idea just different products. I bought two clear shoe organizers.

The first I attached inside the boy's closet door. We filled it with his crayons (wow do we have a lot of crayons! - maybe I should try the popular Pinterest crayon art projects!!), colored pencils, paints and other craft materials. First I was surprised at how many duplicate things I had and second I was surprised at how many things I thought I had we were completely out of (i.e. glue sticks).

The second I attached to the hall closet. The best thing is that I do not have a lot of space in my house and with this little clear shoe organizer I cleaned off an entire shelf - may not seem like a big deal but it was a big deal to me.

I feel so organized!

3 comments:

Susan said...

It's really fun to see that you are actually trying the things you see on Pinterest. I look but I've not actually tried anything yet.

Dede said...

I have been having so much fun with pinterest also. I have made some of the recipes I have found also. I did bomb the orange chicken. I didn't know that you could burn food in a crock pot as bad as I did. Dad still ate it and said it was okay. It wasn't very good! Maybe I will try it again later.

Dede said...

Oh, the shoe rack idea is great. I have seen something like this but in a shower rack. Wish I could think of something cool and sell for alot of money or a little money but lot of.